Am in Valdivia, a city about the size of Reykjavík but which seems more like the size of Húsavík. I guess a lot of it has to do with the fact that it's Sunday and on Sundays life appears to grind to a halt in Chile. I took the night bus from Santiago and could, for the first time since Argentina, see the stars, the starlight doesn't manage to penetrate the smog which covers Santiago, and Viña and Valparaíso to a point.
-----
When I woke up this morning I had entered another world. A world of lush vegetation, deep blue lakes, ancient forests and verdant farmland. Quite different from the desiccated monotonous cacti covered hills around Santiago.
The air was fragrant with damp grass and wood smoke and the morning mist (which is kasumi in Japanese, has such a beautiful ring to it) hovered above the ground like a white veil. Borders of the green fields, which are dotted with black-and-white cows, are lined with eucalyptus trees and the snow-capped volcanoes loom over the flatlands like attentive but strict guardians. They are a bit mischievous though and shake the earth every now and then, as to remind us that they still might have a few tricks up their sleeves.
Just one of the precious *sigh* moments.
-----
The hostel I'm at has a guest kitchen, so I've stocked up on groceries, oh how I've missed my cooking. For the next few days it's goodbye to the tiring diet of sandwiches yoghurt bananas sandwiches yoghurt bananas. And hello to the relaxed tranquility of Valdivia, reading, studying Spanish and daydreaming.
12 December 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Um snilligáfu Nökkva er víst engum blöðum að fletta... ekki síður en bræðra hans og foreldra :) Mesti snillingurinn var samt, er og verður ættmóðirin, amma á Sólbakka!!!
Post a Comment