16 December 2004

I stumbled accross an old, torn copy of Newsweek, which I read at least every other week when I'm at home (and was a subscriber for some time, under the illusion that I was "reading it to improve my English" and ploughed through excrutiatingly boring articles on the economy in Taiwan or some other far flung places). I've missed it a bit while travelling, have only found the Spanish versions here. I know there are online versions of both Time and Newsweek, but it's not the same as curling into a ball in a comfy sofa and flip the pages in a lazy manner, trying to take in what I'm reading. In the issue from the 6th of December I read an article which... well, I wouldn't call it interesting but I understand so well what the columnist is talking about.

Welcome to my world... http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6594606/site/newsweek/

I've been trying to figure out what to do in the close Future (yes, with a capital F). I will return to my lovely job when I go back. And then what?

Sooner or later I'll start studying again, which frightens me a bit because that means staying put in one place for some time (if I were a man this would be called a commitment phobia of the highest degree) . And what to study... icelandic, english, spanish, linguistics, anthroplogy, tourism, literature, geography... the list goes on. I'm not thrilled about the idea of teaching, which eliminates a lot of job possibilities in most of the aforemented fields. I still haven't found out what I want to do when I grow up - so I just keep on postponing it.

Or I could save up for the dream trip, which takes over a year and covers a lot of countries and kilometers.

But while I wait for enlightenment I'll wander for a bit longer around this lovely playground, the world.

No comments: