30 January 2006

After getting several complaints about the apparent lack of entries on this site - and the seeming lack of my good self being alive and well - I'll tell you a bit on how I spend my days here in Salamanca, but I'm warning you: it won't be the least interesting.

It's not all sun and sangria in Spain these days. When I walked to school this morning (a brisk walk that was) it was bonechilling -7C. On Friday tens of thousands of children didn't go to school because of the weather, cars got stuck in the snow, trains and flights got cancelled. And I've heard the phrase "you must be used to this temperature" more often than I care to remember. And to my pleasure I've been able to answer "actually, it was 8C in Reykjavík today".

So... my life in Salamanca? Well, I usually wake up a bit too late and therefore have a rushed shower and skip breakfast (I know, I know - it's the most important meal of the day). In the morning I have a class on spanish culture (history, arts, current affairs, etc.), which is my favourite, but politics should not be ingested on an empty stomach. Then I've got a 2 hour grammar class and 2 hour conversational class. Most things close for the siesta, when Spaniards go home and have the main meal of the day. Since I'm lazy and place more importance on reading than food I usually grab a yoghurt or have a salad and then crawl into bed with a book and have a catnap. In the afternoon (if the nap doesn't turn into a coma, which tends to happen) I usually watch a spanish film and then attend a lecture and spanish culture. After the second dose of culture (Brian, just imagine how many culture points I'd be scoring if I were partaking in the counting!) it's time for a cup of coffee or red wine and tapas in town. And when I go home I've still got my homework to do and I've learnt that it's absolutely impossible to do it in the morning, breakfast or no breakfast. So, as you can see, there's absolutely no time left for emails or blogs. And this is the censored version, occasionally more time is spent on the red wine and less on the sleep.

The city is absolutely fantastic (more about that later, when I find time to upload some photos), my flatmates, who are from The Netherlands, Canada and England, are great and everything works at the flat, for which I am very grateful.

And if any of you want to come for a visit you are more than welcome, the airports in Madrid and Valladolid are the closest ones (Ryanair does Stansted-Valladolid). And time - time is a relative consept and can be molded as needed. And just to squander the credibility of my words I now have to run, or else I'll be late to class.

5 comments:

Linda Björk said...

Don't you just hate it when they say that. You must be used to this cold... uh well it's not thaaattttt cold in Iceland :)

Anonymous said...

Afhverju eru Íslendingar hættir að blogga á íslensku?

Anonymous said...

Hæ Ásta, hér er bara sumarblíða eins og alltaf nema þegar er kalt. Af mér allt gott, Bjössi bróðir er á Indlandi og frúin hans í USA. Við hin erum að mestu í sömu förunum - ég er er þó aðeins búinn að breyta, t.d. farinn að vinna við TV aftur, núna er það Eurovision undankeppnin á RÚV. Hlakka til að heyra meira frá þér, kv. Kalli

Anonymous said...

hola guapa. Hvað er svo planið hjá frostrósinni á Spáni? Ætlar þú að vera næstu vikur/mánuði í Salamanca eða ferðast eitthvað um Spán/Evrópu? Hvenær er svo stefnt að því að koma til baka á hjara veraldar?
skemmtu þér vel í kuldanum...þú getur alltaf yljað þér með rauðvíni - ahhh gott fyrir hjartað ;)
kossar og knús,
Ása Marin

Anonymous said...

You should just ask them “So how do you like Spain." I recall hearing the use of snow mobiles to school in the East of Iceland. Spaniards to use this mode of transportation?