And now I'm in Luxor. And I've just showered and put on (my only) clean clothes and I must be one of the happiest people in the world. Bulk of the credit goes to the aforementioned much-needed and much-longed-for shower, but a big chunk of it is due to the new socks I've got on (no clean socks surely justifies buying new ones?) since new socks is one of the 7 wonders in my humble world.
The last 3 days I've spent leisurely sailing down the Nile in a felucca. Feluccas are traditional sailboats which have been used for travels on the Nile as long as man remembers, and even longer, for at least 5000 years. In this case it shouldn't be called sailing though, since there was hardly any wind it was more just drifting. The major difference between travels on the Nile now and then is the cruise ships which noisyly whizz by, while the feluccas are still pretty much the way they have always been (toilet stops on the river banks and all). Many thanks go to the wonderful men/women who invented wetwipes, sunscreen and mosquito repellent, without it the last days wouldn't have been as thoroughly enjoyable.
I also looked at a few ruins since I left Cairo, and intend to check out some more temples and stuff, but I have to admit that after a few weeks of travelling I'm prety much ruined-out. In fact I'll happily try not to see anything over a 1000 years old the next few weeks. Geographical features excluded.
And now that I'm showered and feel human again, not to mention energetic, I'm going to make dinner. Admittedly it says in the "house rules" at my guesthouse that cooking is forbidden in the rooms and it's pointed out that there's a restaurant on the 1st floor, but making fruit salad hardly constitutes as cooking? It's just chopping, possibly food prepairing. And who needs a restaurant when you've got a penknife and a plastic bag?
After dinner I plan to veg out in front of the TV (yes, TV!) and hope that the English/French/Arabic Nile TV has something interesting on. Other than Mubarak's talk with Chirac or Le crise syrienne (which I'm actually interested in but alas, my French is not quite good enough. Actually it sucks.), or Egyptian Gardens. So, off to dinner.
5 January 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
á to the k,
merry merry and happy happy.
q: do they have skyrr in luxor?
probably not, but guess what (no, not chicken butt)...
...they do in ohio! bu-ya. i put in a request with the rastafarian dairy specialist in the local whole foods™ grocery store and within weeks skyrr.is turned up on the shelves. vanilla and blueberry.
now i have skyrr, many leather bound books, AND an house which smells of rich mahogany.
when do you get to spain is what i really want to know.
stay classy.
matynka.
Querido M.
Am in Salamanca, loving it. No skyr but paella, chocolate con churros and horchata. Live on Paseo de la Estación, school´s great.
"I´m just gonna put it out there, if you like it you take it, if not just send it right back... " I wish you were here.
Un abrazo,
AK
Post a Comment