It's New Years Eve. At midnight the tears are usually brimming in my eyes, I get a mild bout of nostalgia and think back about the past year, which will never come back. Tonight at midnight I will probably be too busy serving beer or wiping up spilt champagne to have the time to think back, so I better finish off that now. By no means is this a complete recollection of the last year, just a quick recap.
Last year...
...I went to the Westfjords for the first time (yeah I know, I started at the wrong end, first Africa then the Westfjords.) And I liked it so much I went there again three weeks later. And I intend to go there again next summer.
... I also went to Denmark for the first time. I visited an old friend and found out that the part of my family living there is really nice. I will be going again to Denmark soon.
...I travelled a fair bit in Iceland, the annual trips to Landmannalaugar, Snæfellsnes, Þórsmörk and more. In outstanding company.
...I got my first gray hairs. To console me my hairdresser said that it was probably because of stress, not age, and pulled them out. Haven't seen any new gray hairs so I'm hoping for the best.
...My eyesight got significantly worse. I can not blame that on stress.
...My lovelife reached an all-time low. Most of the time it was nonexistent. I am not willing to blame that on old age.
...I was relatively mentally stable. Maybe that has got something to with the no-romance-down-to-earth way of living. I'd rather have my ups and downs, but mental health comes first.
...I came to the conclusion that I'm not going to be a teacher (I have a sneaking suspicion that the gray hairs had something to do with my former job). Please remind my when I start talking of teaching again.
...I contacted a few old friends and it was very rewarding. That is however not my forte and people are slip-slidin' away from my life. I can only blame myself.
...I met lots of interesting people, some nice people and a few special people that I hope I won't lose contact with.
...I learned a lot of Spanish.
...I did not fall in love. I can hardly say I even had a crush on anyone.
...I started to write a blog. I didn't think I'd stick to it, but I happen to like writing, even if it's just about everyday's humdrum.
...I went paragliding for the first time. One of the highlights of the year.
...I packed all my worldly possessions, except the stuff I carry around in my backpack. They are now in storage and I don't know when I'll unpack them. But when I do I'll probably be a Grown-up.
...I realized that I've got a fully grown collection of household belongings. And packing it took a lot of time. Kitchen utensils and paraphernalia alone took up a few boxes.
...I was an exemplary housewife. On Saturday mornings I baked wholemeal buns and cleaned the apartment, everything ready for brunch at 11 am. In my house solely homemade bread was served (except during exams, then I didn' t have enough time).
...I sometimes had way too much time on my hands and other times way too little. Idle time doesn't come at even intervals, nor in even doses.
...I read a few good books. The best ones I had already read before, my favourites being Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, Mirage and Eye for an Eye by Bandula Chandraratna. Platform by Michel Houellebecq made me think. And I still haven't come to a conclusion.
...I finally bought a decent English dictionary. I don't regret it, I used it nearly every day.
...I saw a few good films. El Cielíto was my favourite, I liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Coffee and Cigarettes and I enjoyed watching Spellbound.
...I let my hair grow until it reached my shoulders. Haven't had hair this long since I was 15 years old. I realized why, I look better with short hair. Now I have short hair and I will for evermore.
...My financial status improved a bit. It will be worse when I come home in April though.
...I shared apartments with lots of people. Actually I don't even know how many. Lots.
...I gained some weight. And lost some weight. And gained some weight and lost some weight. And now I weigh the same as in the beginning of the year. I still weigh too much.
...I didn't make New Year's resolutions. I never do.
...I quit being angry about something I failed at. And being on good terms with the past is so much easier.
...I learned a lot of completely useless facts. I wasn't studying so I had to keep my brain busy so it wouldn't wither away. But focusing on something would be wiser. I'll try to remember that next year.
...I learned to appreciate my family even more.
...I went to Argentina and Chile. And learned a lot about South America. And am going to learn more.
...Lots of my friends and mates from school had children. I don't even have a cat. I don't even have a hamster. I don't even live anywhere. But my time will come, I guess.
...I got more freckles than ever before. Lucky that I think they're cute.
All in all it's been a good year. If I were to repeat it I would skip the first 3 months though.
Next year I'm going to take my vitamins every day, so that the rest of my hair doesn't come out. Not all nutrients can be found in bread and bananas and I am aware that my diet concists of nearly carbohydrates only. Which is not good. That will improve when I go home.
Otherwise I don't have many expectations for the next year, I will be travelling for the first 3 months, then go home and work. And decide if I'm going to be responsible and buy an apartment or just keep on lugging my stuff around in a backpack. Then the normal stuff; lose some weight, battle my inferiority complex, learn something new, travel a bit. A boyfriend might be nice, or even just a fling, or something. Maybe.
In another year I want to be able to look back and be willing to relive the year that starts now at midnight. Without skipping long stretches of time. If I live the coming year so that I would want to repeat it then I've done a good job.
Happy new year.
31 December 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment