So, Christmas has come and gone.
From Damascus, which is a fantastic place, we went to Jordan. We went to Mt. Nebo where allegedly God showed Moses the promised land, there is a great view from there over the Jordan valley and over to Jerico. We camped by the Dead Sea and saw the lights twinkling from Jerusalem, it's was a bit strange to know that the lights on the other side of the water were in Israel. I went for a cold but nice early morning swim, it's a strange sensation to swim in the Dead Sea. The salinity is very high so swimming is a bit difficult, you just float - and don't even think of trying to get to the bottom 'cause you just bob straight up again. It also feels strange on the skin, very smooth, almost slimy. And as soon as you go out of the water your skin and hair is all salt encrusted.
And you know what; I had white Christmas! The 24th I was at Petra (a magnificent city carved out of rocks, those who have seen Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade might know what I'm talking about) and when we woke up early on Christmas day it was snowing. We drove through the surrounding mountains, in about an inch-deep snow (I know, it's not much but this is the Middle East I's talking about here) on our way to the Wadi Rum desert where we thought we were camping the next night, but we had a Christmas surprise waiting for us: instead we spent the night in a bedouin camp.
And now I'm in Egypt. We crossed over the Aqaba Gulf with a ferry to Nuweiba and are now staying in Dahab. I went snorkelling in the Red Sea today, the visibility was fantastic and my freckles really love seing a bit of sun (I've been cursing myself the last month for hacing packed sunscreen which just takes up space in my bag but finally I had use for it). This time the lighs twinkling at the other side of the water are in Saudi Arabia.
I'll stay in Sinai for the next couple of days and hopefully climb Mt. Sinai, then go to Cairo where I'll be spending New Year's Eve.
27 December 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment